Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
CFD has the capability of modelling complex flow problems beyond the realm of conventional methods. FEC have the capability to undertake flow problems addressing pressure loss, heat transfer, mixing, wear, reaction and mass transfer.
CFD sees most application in demanding environments with complex fluid behaviour. FEC have completed assessments to determine valve and pipeline wear, heat transfer in refractory lined equipment and even flow through an air Cooled heat exchanger during a cyclonic wind event. If you have an application where fluid behaviour needs to be quantified, whether it be pressure drop, mixing efficiency, heat transfer or wear, then CFD may provide a suitable solution.
FE Consultant’s CFD specialist has been practicing for over 25 years and has authored 20 peer reviewed papers.
An example of the projects completed by FEC for commercial applications include:
- Analysis on a thickener underflow valve to reduce wear
- Analysis of flow through a 70m tall chimney to determine wall temperatures and fan back pressures
- Analysis of mixing in a crude oil storage tank to minimise sludge formation
- Calculation of pressure loss through a radiator fan bank during high wind speed events
- Erosion modelling on severe service flow control valves and flexible hoses
- Flow in mixing tank subject to agitator and baffle arrangement
- Thermal simulation of refractory lined pipe and thermowell fittings subject to cross flow
- Wear simulations (water/gas and particle)
- Pressure drop (incompressible and slightly compressible)
- Heat transfer
- Mixing (multiple fluids)
- Pump and fan power requirements
- Controlled combustion
- Transient and steady state events
- Multiple fluids and phases
All of the content on this website is the property of FEC or used with permission from our clients. Reproduction or use of this content without express written permission from FE Consultants is prohibited.